The New Player Experience
Invasion Episode 45 — This episode on Talking in Stations, we discuss the New Player Experience from two viewpoints – Seamus Donohue from Eve University, and Greygal from Agony Empire. Seamus has been Head Professor to Eve University holding ‘classes’ over voice chat on Eve Online mechanics. Greygal is a long time newbro fleet commander of ‘Redemption Road’ – a training fleet open to all players. Both have spent years teaching new players how to survive and find connection in the Eve Online universe. The second viewpoint is from CCP themselves – we sat down with CCP Preobrazhensky, CCP Wonderboy and CCP Cakemachine and they tell us what they’ve learned from designing the New Player Experience.
- Seamus Donohue (Eve University [Ivy League])
- Greygal (Redemption Road [Affirmative.])
- CCP Preobrazhensky (Data Analyzer, NPE)
- CCP Wonderboy (Software Design)
- CCP CakeMachine (Game Designer)
- Matterall (Destructive Influence [Northern Coalition.])
- Elise Randolph (Habitual Euthanasia [Pandemic Legion])
- Inside jokes – people might not know sarcasm (munnins and bombers)
New Player Experience
- Who are you Seamus and Greygal? What do you
- What do new players need to know to survive their 1st week in Eve?
- What common pitfalls do new players stumble in and never get out of?
- How much effort is going into NPE
- What do you say to players that say, don’t worry about NPE
- How is today’s effort different than the past efforts
- How are today’s new players different than new players from 5 years ago
- Do you think that resilience of past players to conquer the game has diminished?
- Have you been capturing more or less players than before
- Challenges rewarding players with ISK (considering old players have billions)
- Talk about Community Fittings
- Talk about shareable bookmarks
TIS Fleet Academy
- TIS Fleet Academy (Agony, Rote)